This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

A Tour to talk about.

      I am so glad I had the month all free and ready to watch the Tour.  That BORAF (Big Old Race Around France) is one of the most riveting spectacles in the world of spectator sports, and I got so much done by not watching all those overpaid drug addled circus bears.  It's good to know the world is wasting time while I am not.  Ok, I'm exaggerating.  I turned it on for 15 minutes one night, it didn't look like anybody was having fun so I switched on the news.  
    This time of year there are a lot of bike tours to give us that good ole competitive thrill.  Most are the local charity rides in which clubs and organizations put all their committees and heads together.   They argue and discuss caterers, routes, starting points, advertising and accessibility for months.  There is another way.  
      On the first Sunday in June each year a tour is held in Three Rivers, Mi. called "Mary's Ride."  Word gets around by mouth and social media,
Mary puts out a breakfast buffet in her garage,
Come ride time, the neighborhood is overrun by spandex biker gangs,
the routes are marked on the roads, the key is posted on the door of the garage

leading groups to SAG stops in the parking lots of  local churches.
Finally,  50 or 60 miles later, the intrepid adventurers find their way back to a great lunch buffet and craft brewed beer in the same garage.  At  $20 per head, Mary puts a couple grand into a local charity, everybody has a smiling good ride and the best damn meals I've seen at a bike event.
Now that's a tour I'm talkin' 'bout.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete